A startling new report reveals Arctic summer sea ice has hit near record lows. Walrus, polar bears, whales, and seals are in danger. Yet our government has bowed to polluting industries and approved air pollution permits for a drilling rig and the first of several aggressive offshore oil drilling plans in the already vulnerable region.There's no doubt about it: the Arctic is on thin ice. And we need your help to fight back!
With your support we will fight tirelessly against:
- Dangerous exploration activities that create noise and disturbances so pervasive that scientists conclude they could be the "greatest long-term threat to the Arctic's biological richness"
- Faulty oil spill plans that rely on defective cleanup equipment and inadequate resources to cleanup a spill
- Oil drilling lease sales that are conducted before the impact of drilling in the Arctic is understood and adequate environmental protection plans are in place
- The approval of drilling plans without a full environmental review
- Inadequate air pollution permits for drilling operations in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas that fail to control harmful pollutants
Donate now to help Earthjustice’s experts hold the line against expanded oil and gas exploration in the Arctic.
The Obama administration has failed Americans by caving to industry pressure and approving the first part of the most aggressive offshore drilling plan ever proposed in the Arctic—without a full environmental review, and without requiring reliable safety equipment or an approved oil spill response plan. And more decisions on key permits required before drilling can commence are expected soon.
Ships involved in the drilling will release tens of thousands of tons of harmful pollutants into the air, dump chemicals into the water, disturb threatened and endangered wildlife, and create the risk of a catastrophic oil spill.
It is times like these that Earthjustice's work is absolutely critical. Now more than ever, the earth needs a good lawyer.
I hope we can count on your support.
Trip Van Noppen
P.S. Earthjustice has held the line against irresponsible oil development in Arctic in the past. And, with your urgent support, we will succeed in defending this sensitive region yet again. Please make an urgent gift today.