Saturday, August 1, 2009

From Taos New Mexico:

"...This health care thing touches some kind of primal nerve, for certain. I think it’s the abandonment issue: so many millions needing care, while greedy politicians scurry to protect the insurance companies! Nothing pushes my buttons faster than that, and I turn blacker than your darkest fear. It’s easy for me, I slot right in, because I was abandoned, essentially. All my siblings were. In many respects, my parents suffered growing up, too. A cascade of parenting failure, howling torrents of pain. Fun stuff, chilluns. So it bothers me especially hard that the richest goddamn country on the face of the earth is actually debating whether we should all take care of each other. It seems to me to be a given: stop building atom bombs, pay the doctors, save the children. Is this so hard?

Apparently so.

When it comes right down to it, though, this is the only thing I want my country to do. That’s it, give us health care. If they have to stop building multi-million dollar remotely piloted high-tech drones to blow up brown people in mud huts on the other side of the world, so be it. Steal us blind. Lie to us. Have however many mistresses you want.

But give the people health care, by God, or fail the test of basic humanity and never talk to me again."

Seems like people everywhere want health care. Who woulda thunk it?

2 comments:

John from Taos said...

The original author of this post is a flaming genius who gives his wholehearted support to JoeTruck, Left Edge North, and whatever this blog espouses. It's ALL GOOD, unlike our freaking idiot elected officials. Joe has a better sense of humor than I do, and I shall learn from him!

We voted for universal health care in the fall. Amazing that since then, virtually no one of importance has even promulgated a single-payer plan, much less talked about it in public. It's like most of us simply don't exist.

Okay, back to whatever you were doing...

Mr. Natural said...

Yea...sometimes I get so goddamned ranting raving stomping around angry...I had HOPED that shit would be over with GWTF gone from the big-house!

As Jim Hightower explains it, is that “the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans possess more net worth today than the bottom 90 percent of us combined. Worse, these privileged few and their political henchmen have structured a new economic ‘normal’ of long-term joblessness, low wages, no benefits or worker rights, miserly public services, and a steadily widening chasm between the rich and the rest of us.” We must restore sanity to this nation.