Monday, April 14, 2008

I am a 61 year old white guy from a paper mill town in Washington. I am going to tell you a story about how racism affects me.


When I was in the 4th grade (I guess about 1956 or so) a black girl came to our school. I remember because we NEVER saw people with skin a different color than ours. Someone came and called the little girl out of the classroom and told her she could not go to school in our little white town. I walked home the minute I heard about it, and have never forgotten.



Some years later, I remember learning that a friend of mine could not live within the city limits because OUR skin lacked the beautiful colored pigment. His father brought their family to our town where he could work. Turns out he could NOT work there. He started a wrecking yard outside town and did quite well, but it was NOT what he and his wife wanted to do.



I remember when the first black workers came to our town to work in the paper mill. Sitting with my father across from the mill entrance in the cafe and he said "damn n*ggers coming into town to cause trouble". He was a smart man, my father, and it didn't take long till he learned that was not true, all they wanted was to make some good union money like any person would.



So you see, my support of this smart, articulate, critical thinker who happens to be half Kenyan just comes naturally to me, as it should to you. It don't take much thinking to realize that Hillary and her husband are after prestige and power while Barack Obama is the real deal.


Peace,
Mr. Natural

No comments:

As Jim Hightower explains it, is that “the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans possess more net worth today than the bottom 90 percent of us combined. Worse, these privileged few and their political henchmen have structured a new economic ‘normal’ of long-term joblessness, low wages, no benefits or worker rights, miserly public services, and a steadily widening chasm between the rich and the rest of us.” We must restore sanity to this nation.